Exploring the Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood -- page 6
Can You Find These Treasures?
1. 3206 Gregory Street
2. 806 Woodrow Street
3. 2130 West Lawn Avenue
4. 2202 West Lawn Avenue
5. 2142 Keyes Avenue
6. 2220 West Lawn Avenue
7. 2318 Monroe Street
Street Name Derivations
GENERAL NOTE: It has been common practice in Madison that surveyors
or developers of land name streets, which are then approved by the
ARBOR: Named for the adjacent Arboretum.
BALTZELL: John R. Baltzell (1827-1893) was from Fredericktown,
Maryland. After graduating from Princeton, he came to Madison to
practice law. He served as city attorney and police justice, and in
1879 was elected mayor. Formerly called Marston Street after the
Marston farm [See Site 25].
BRIAR HILL: Named after the plat name for the area.
CHAPMAN: Chandler Burnell Chapman (1870-1945) was an associate of
Leonard W. Gay (1895-1946), who owned and developed much of the
land from Commonwealth Avenue to Glenway Street.
EDGEWOOD: Named after the Villa Edgewood, the former Ashmead and
Marshall mansion that Gov. Washburn gave to the Dominican Sisters
FOX: Dr. Philip Fox (1840-1932) was a Madison physician and
surgeon, whose family came from Indiana to Dane County in a covered
wagon in 1843. Dr. Fox was a surgeon with the Second Wisconsin
Infantry Regiment in the Civil War.
GILMORE: The Reverend Frank A. Gilmore (1865-1919) was a Unitarian
minister in Maine, Massachusetts, and Madison. Here, he served on
the library board and the hospital board.
GLENWAY: Named for the Glen, now the Glenwood Children's Park [See
Site 18]. It was once called Swain Road, for the
Swain family who used to own the Plough Inn [See Site
GREGORY: Jared Comstock Gregory (1823-1892) was a lawyer from New
York, who came to Madison in 1858. He served as a Regent of the
University of Wisconsin for twelve years, was elected mayor of
Madison in 1873, ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 1881, and
served as the Postmaster of Madison during the first term of
KEYES: Elisha W. "Boss" Keyes (1828-1910) (pronounce to rhyme with
'pies') was an influential head of the State Republican Party just
before 1900. He was appointed Postmaster by President Lincoln in
1861. He also served as a University of Wisconsin Regent, state
representative, and municipal judge. Keyes was a stockholder in the
West Lawn Company.
KNICKERBOCKER: Named for the Knickerbocker Ice Company of Chicago
that operated an ice house at its southern end from 1895 to
LEWIS: Named after Lewis J. Schumacher, who in 1914, was the first
to build a house on this street (806).
MONROE: Originally Monroe Road [See Site 31],
so-named because it led to Monroe, Wisconsin.
PICKFORD: Henry W. Pickford (1854-1935) was born in England. After
farming, he became a printer, and was on the Madison Board of
SHELDON: Russell A. Sheldon (1822-1907) had a farm on what is now
SPOONER: John C. Spooner (1843-1919) was a United States Senator
who had been attorney for the Omaha Line railroad in Hudson,
SPRAGUE: UW Civil Engineering Professor Ray Sprague Owen
(1878-1967) was the surveyor of the land on which the street
stands. Owen's mother's name was Flora Sprague.
TERRY: Jared H. Terry (1838-1923) was born in New York in 1838. He
came to Spring Green to teach at a private academy about 1863. He
was superintendent of schools in Mineral Point for nine years and
came to Madison to live in 1889. [See Site 5]
WEST LAWN: The West Lawn Company developed the plat from Breese
Terrace to Commonwealth Avenue, between Monroe and Regent
WESTERN: At the time of its naming it was the western edge of the
City of Madison.
INFORMATION UNKNOWN: Commonwealth, Copeland, Crandall, Cross,
Minakwa, Prospect, Woodrow, and Wyota
Long ago Lake Wingra and surrounding wetlands formed by springs
Long ago Late Woodland Indians build linear, cone, and effigy
Long ago American Indians use prairie fires to establish oak
savanna to enhance hunting
Long ago American Indians establish campsites around Lake Wingra,
including current site of Dudgeon School, and develop trail system
between lakes, part of which would become Monroe Road
1834 Government surveyors simply number Madison lakes one through
four as they move north from the Illinois border
1838 Legislature designates Monroe Road as Wisconsin's first public
1850s Site of today's Glenwood Children's Park is an active
sandstone quarry, likely supplying stones for the Plough Inn and
1850s Plough Inn constructed
1855-57 Villa Edgewood constructed
1860 Jeremiah Marston purchased his farm
1864 Marshall Hall, behind the present Edgewood High School, built
as a carriage house and servants' quarters
1871 Marston Home constructed on current Dudgeon School site
1872 Chase Home constructed
1881 Edgewood Academy of the Sacred Heart opens
1886-88 Illinois Central Railroad constructed
1888 Last passenger pigeons hunted near Lake Wingra
1889 Right of way purchased for the Lake Wingra Ice House
1889 Larkin Home constructed
1893 Villa Edgewood destroyed by fire
1894 Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association incorporated
1894 Rail spur to present day Wingra Park constructed to transport
ice from the Knickerbocker Ice House
1895 Knickerbocker Ice House begins operation
1897 Electric streetcar service extended from University Avenue
along Breese Terrace and then west on Monroe Street as far as
Harrison Street and across the Illinois Central tracks at
1903 West Lawn Company begins marketing 50x120 foot lots
1904 Edgewood Pleasure Drive established
1904 Senator and Mrs. William F. Vilas donate land to develop Vilas
Park and Zoo
1907 Marston Farm purchased by Wingra Land Co. for development
1914 Westminster Presbyterian congregation builds church at
intersection of Spooner and West Lawn
1914 Withey Home constructed
1915 Randall Bank established on Monroe Street
1916 Kinne Home constructed
1917 Lake Forest Land Company begins dredging for the 'Lost City'
which ended up nearly draining the Vilas Park lagoon
1917 McQuillen Home constructed
1917 Donkle Home constructed
1917 Ward Home constructed
1920 Western part of neighborhood begins rapid development
1920s Garage Homes a common sight
1925 Bus service extended along Commonwealth Avenue and then west
on Monroe Street
1924 Bryant Home constructed
1925 Gay Home constructed
1925 Wingra Land Co. builds Gay Commercial Building and four three
story apartment buildings at 2801-2821 Monroe Street
1927 Dudgeon School constructed; Marston Home moved to Baltzell
1927 Present Edgewood High School constructed
1928 Allen-Edgewood viaduct constructed
1928 Rail spur put in to access fuel and lumber company at
intersection of Copeland and Gregory Streets
1930 Glenwood Moravian Community Church constructed
1930s Farming to supply food for Edgewood's students ceases on the
1934 UW Arboretum established
1935 Madison streetcars replaced by buses; tracks removed; Monroe
1937 Percy's Service Station constructed
1937 Conklin Company turns former ice house property over to City
of Madison for use as a park (Wingra Park)
1938 Wheeler Council Ring constructed by Civilian Conservation
1938 Second story added to Dudgeon School
1938 Monroe Street Fire Station constructed ~
1940 Arboretum plants Sycamore tree on Arbor Dr.
1940 Ho-nee-um Pond (west of Wingra Park off Arbor Drive) created
1941 Parman's gas station opens
1942 Mallatt's Pharmacy opens on Monroe Street
1944 Fire destroys lumber company at intersection of Copeland and
1948 Temple Beth-El constructed
1949 Glenwood Children's Park dedicated
1951 First traffic signal installed on Monroe Street
1954 Dudgeon School enrollment peaks at 574 students from
kindergarten through eighth grade
1967 Madison Theatre Guild opens in old Fire Station #7
1968 Madison City Council votes to ban motorboats on Lake Wingra on
weekends and holidays
1969 Sacred Heart Academy demolished on Edgewood Campus
1971 Dudgeon Elementary School closed as a public school
1973 Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood Association established
1975 Plough Inn and Glenwood Children's Park designated Madison
1976 Randall Bank relocates to intersection of Monroe and Spooner
1980-81 Illinois Central stops using rail line; freight service
resumes on publicly owned tracks
1982 Religious Society of Friends moves to Roberts Court
1983 Desilting pond established near intersection of Glenway and
1986 Michael's Frozen Custard opens on Monroe Street
1989 Jensen's Garage and Millin's Market close pending demolition
for Knickerbocker Place shops
1989 Wingra Park Boat House burns down
1992 New Wingra Park Boat House dedicated
1991 Wingra Oak Savanna restoration begins
1995 Knickerbocker Place opens
1997 D-MNA Capital Fund Drive raises money to help restore the
Council Ring at the Glenwood Children's Park
1997 Former Illinois Central Rail line officially abandoned and
Wisconsin Department of Transportation designates the corridor for
1998 Parman's removes gas pumps and underground storage tanks
Waking Up To A Walk-Around Neighborhood
Contentment kept me company today.
Everything I needed could be seen from my windows.
My daughter had soccer. Cut through backyards
and the park loomed. Poured chocolate milk for
one stopper, two goalies and three forwards.
Desired poetry. Any poetry. Strolled beside the Indian
mound and the library opened its arms. Gwendolyn
Brooks was waiting in the rotunda.
Hungered for the flavor of fiddles. Crossed campus
and found Kentucky bluegrass rising to the rooftops.
Saw a golden pheasant dancing in the courtyard.
Had a yen for cumin and coriander. Sauntered under
chili pepper ristras and dined with the lizards
on the southwestern desert.
Craved the sound of the wind rushing through the pines.
Took the wooded lane along the shoreline and heard
the trill of the redwing among them.
Yes, a perfectly provincial day.
Everything could be seen that I needed.
by Shawn Schey
Can YOU find these places???
Contributors This booklet has been developed by many
inquisitive history and ecology enthusiasts dedicated to
discovering treasures in the Dudgeon-Monroe neighborhood:
|| Robert Gay
|| Mel Grinstad
|| Susan Hanley
|| Shirley Lake
|| Tim Lee
|| Bill Mallatt
|| Sue Reindollar
|| Julie Wickland
State Historical Society: 19
UW Arboretum: 11, 12, 13
Kathryn Lederhause: 23
Shawn Schey: 1, 3a, 4, 5, 8, 20, 25, 28, 32, 33, 34, 35
Daryl Sherman: 3b, 6, 7, 10, 15, 17, 24, 26, 27, 29, "treasure"
MHP Series Editor
This project was developed with the
cooperation of Historic Madison, Inc., and funded in part by a
grant from the Dane County Cultural Affairs Commission, with
additional support from the Madison Community Foundation.
to top of this page
to previous page
to page 1
to the Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood
Association home page
Last modified 12-4-00
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
or DMNA Feedback Form
Copyright © 2000, Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood Association.